PrEP and PEP

What is PrEP?

PrEP is a pill you can take before sex that offers near complete protection from HIV. It is a very effective tool for people at risk of HIV, especially those who may find it difficult to use condoms every time.

PrEP is made up of two drugs, Tenofovir and Emtricitabine, which are known as antiretroviral medicines and have been used as part of HIV treatment for many years. You may know them by the brand name, Truvada. However, there are generic forms of the drug with the same active ingredients.

You can get PrEP from Brook Cornwall

You can get PrEP from Brook. Please call 0300 30 30 714 to book an appointment to discuss PrEP..

Who would benefit from PrEP?

You could benefit from PrEP if you are considered to be at high risk of HIV. PrEP can be used as a way to reduce your risk of HIV if you are HIV negative and don’t always use condoms.

PrEP is not a vaccine and only provides protection from HIV so long as you continue to take it as prescribed. It is important to remember that PrEP will not protect you from acquiring other STIs. This is an important advantage of using condoms.

What is PEP?

PEP is a 28-day treatment of powerful drugs and is not guaranteed to work. It is only recommended after high-risk of exposure (for example, if a partner is known to be HIV positive).

If you think you may have been exposed to HIV within the last 72 hours (three days), it is possible to take anti-HIV medication called PEP (post-exposure prophylaxis) which may stop you becoming infected. PEP is most effective if taken within the first 24 hours after potential exposure.

You can get PEP from Brook Cornwall and from an Accident and Emergency Department.